Thursday, July 4, 2013

HUMBA or Braised Pork Belly

HUMBA!

Humba is not my favorite food because it is very fatty. But last week, I craved for fatty foods so I thought to make humba out of the frozen pork belly in my freezer. Thanks to my Pinay friend Emy for buying them from an Asian Store in Reno for me.

I found a recipe online but I modified it depending upon the availability in my pantry. The humba turned out just perfect!

Sharing the recipe here:

Ingredients:

2 lbs pork belly- cut into desired serving size
1 cup Pepsi
3 cloves garlic
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup silver swan soy sauce
1/2 cup vinegar
3 bay leaves
1 tbsp peppercorns
1.5 tsp salt
1 regular size white onion
1/2 cup water 

Procedure:

1. Combine all ingredients except 1/2 cup water. Marinate for 1 hour.
2. Put them all in a sauce pan. Add 1/2 cup water.
3. In medium heat, cook them for 15 minutes.
4. Lower the fire until meat becomes tender.
5. Taste it according to your liking.
6. It takes an hour or an hour an half before it is done but make sure to check it once in a while.
7. Serve.

I heard that it tastes better when using pineapple juice but I was out of it so I used Pepsi instead. I will try using pineapple juice in my next craving, hehehe!

Thanks for dropping by :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to drop a comment :)