Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Homemade Lechon Pork Belly



Seems like the holiday is not over yet! 

My stepson Chad and his gorgeous wife dropped-by at my house on their way home to Arizona, plus my new found friend Pinay, Mary Rose, was also coming so I baked some goodies and made this lechon straight from my rotisserie oven. 

The lechon was just perfect! The skin was not shiny/oily because I did not baste it but it was crispy all the same and the meat tastes like really lechon in Pinas :) 

Delicious indeed! 

I bought the pork belly from a Filipino store in Reno and I want to come back for more :)

Ingredients:

4 or 5 lbs pork belly
salt and pepper
garlic powder
green onions
lemon grass/ tanglad

Dipping sauce:

soy sauce and sukang
pinakurat/kalamansi/ lemon

Procedure:

Wash the pork belly, pat with paper towel to dry. Season it with salt, pepper and garlic powder (generously) then put it in the refrigerator for 8 hours or over night.

Lay the pork belly flat then put green onion and lemon grass and make a log out it, truss with cooking twine then cook it in the rotisserie just like in the photo with a temp of 250F for an hour. Then crank the temperature up to 350F for 30 mins until done. 

I did not have lemon grass or tanglad (I will have some in my next cooking, that's for sure) so I only used stalks of green onions.

My cousin Jing from Aussie suggested to baste it with lemon juice and prick the skin to let the fat spread to make the lechon shiny and oily.

Serve with soy sauce, lemon, vinegar or catsup. I used soy sauce, lemon, vinegar, hot pepper :)

Thank you for dropping by! Have a good one!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to drop a comment :)