Tuesday, January 28, 2014

My Coconut Cream Pie


Presenting my husband's favorite pie!

He can't eat too much sweets anymore for health reasons but kept on asking me to make some for his friends. Geez. 

The first time I made this pie, I almost cried because it was an epic fail. Apparently, the cornstarch I used was stale. The following day I tried again but I used flour instead and hubby said it was perfect! That's when he started giving them away. He would buy pie crusts when he goes to the store, he doesn't want me to exert a lot of effort or maybe he just didn't like my home made pie crust, hahaha!

Anyway, I am sharing the recipe which I got online. It looks like it is not easy to make but trust me, it is very easy actually. 

Ingredients
1 pie crust recipe

For the Toasted Coconut Topping
½ cup flaked, sweetened coconut

For the Coconut Custard
1½ cups coconut milk
1½ cups half-and-half
5 egg yolks
¾ cup sugar
4 tablespoons cornstarch or 1/2 cup flour
1 tablespoon butter
¼ teaspoon salt
1½ cups flaked, sweetened coconut
1½ teaspoons vanilla

For the Whipped Topping
2 cups heavy whipping cream
¼ cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Instructions

Prepare pie crust according to blind-baking instructions of recipe.
For the Toasted Coconut Topping
Spread coconut evenly on a rimmed baking sheet. Place into 350ยบ F oven for 8-10 minutes until coconut has just begun to turn brown.
Set aside to cool.

For the Coconut Custard
Pour coconut milk and half-and-half into a liquid measuring cup. Add egg yolks and whisk together with milks. Set aside.
Add sugar and cornstarch to a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-low heat. 
Whisk egg and milk mixture together once more and then slowly begin to add to the sugar and cornstarch, whisking together constantly.
Bring custard mixture to a boil. Switch to a rubber spatula or wooden spoon and continue to stir constantly.
Boil one minute.
Remove from heat and add butter, coconut, vanilla and salt.
Spread custard into pie crust. 
Cover lightly with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator until set, about 30-45 minutes.

For the Whipped Topping
Add sugar and heavy whipping cream to large bowl. 
Whisk with an electric mixer just until stiff peaks form. 
Add vanilla and whisk just until combined.
Spread whipped cream on top of coconut custard. 
Refrigerate until ready to serve.
When ready to serve, top with toasted coconut.

Serves: 6-8

Thank you for dropping by! Have a good one!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to drop a comment :)